Red Cross Hospital, Red Lake
The fire during the 1940's made it evident that a hospital was needed in Red Lake. The town purchased a bunkhouse for $1 and converted it into the Red Lake Red Cross Outpost Hospital. It stood where the present IGA store stands today. The twenty-two bed hospital was staffed with three registered nurses, and a Matron (today known as a Head Nurse). The nursing staff lived in the basement of the building so that they were available to assist the two pioneer physicians, Dr. Daniel and Dr. McMammon. The Hospital also provided obstetrical, pediatric and medical services; however, only emergency surgical procedures were done. It was not uncommon for the surgeons from both hospitals to assist each other during surgery.
Click on the photos below for a larger view:
The Amalgamation of the Margaret Cochenour Hospital & the Red Lake Cross Hospital
During 1971, The Red Cross Hospital Officials and the Board of Governors from the Margaret Cochenour Hospital met to discuss the amalgamation of the two hospitals. It was agreed that the new hospital be built in its present location in Red Lake. One of the conditions of the amalgamation was to maintain the name "Margaret Cochenour and to incorporate "Red Lake" into the hospital name. Therefore, the new name, Red Lake Margaret Cochenour Memorial Hospital would carry with it the pioneering spirit of both hospitals. The Red Lake Margaret Cochenour Memorial Hospital (RLMCMH), opened its doors on December 17, 1973. The official opening occurred in May 1974. Mr. Leo Bernier, MPP, and Mr. John Reid, MP, officiated the ribbon cutting ceremony.
Since it's official opening, RLMCMH has undergone many changes. In 1994, the present day Ambulance Garage was constructed. This was followed by further renovations and development in 2004. In addition, RLMCMH is now connected to Northwood Lodge, a 32 bed long term care facility.