Personal Health Information - Privacy
Written Statement of Information Practices
We collect personal health information about you directly from you or from the person acting on your behalf. The personal health information that we collect may include, for example, your name, date of birth, address, health history, records of your visits to the Red Lake Hospital and the care that you received during those visits. Occasionally, we collect personal health information about you from other sources if we have obtained your consent to do so or if the law permits. Information may be shared between the Red Lake Medical Associates and the Red Lake Margaret Cochenour Memorial Hospital’s electronic medical record as part of the continuum of care.
You can access here the Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA)
Uses and Disclosures of Personal Health Information
We use and disclose your personal health information to:
- Treat and care for you,
- Get payment for your treatment and care (from OHIP, WSIB, your private insurer or others),
- Plan, administer and manage our internal operations,
- Conduct risk management activities,
- Conduct quality improvement activities (such as sending patient satisfaction surveys),
- Compile statistics,
- Fundraise to improve our healthcare services and programs,
- Comply with legal and regulatory requirements, and
- Fulfill other purposes permitted or required by law.
You may access and request corrections to your personal health records, or withdraw your consent for some of the above uses and disclosures by contacting us; see below for contact information (subject to legal exceptions).
- We take steps to protect your personal health information from theft, loss and unauthorized access, copying modification, use, disclosure and disposal.
- We conduct audits and complete investigations to monitor and manage our privacy compliance.
- We take steps to ensure that everyone who performs services for us protects your privacy and only uses your personal health information for the purposes you have consented to.
How to Contact Us
DO NOT SEND ANY PERSONAL HEALTH INFORMATION BY E-MAIL. General Questions/Requests may be followed by mail or in person.
For more information about our privacy protection practices, or to raise a concern you have with our practices, contact us at:
Freedom of Information/ Privacy Officer
Red Lake Margaret Cochenour Memorial Hospital
You have the right to complain to the Information and Privacy Commissioner/Ontario if you think we have violated your rights.
Please contact the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner/Ontario by one of the following methods
E-mail: It is an unfortunate reality of the present Internet that communications carried over it are neither secure nor verifiable. Do not send personal information by e-mail.
To reach the IPC Communications Department or receive publications electronically: ipc%23on%23ca|info
Topics in This Category