Our Commitment to Accessibility
Red Lake Margaret Cochenour Memorial Hospital strives to deliver exemplary patient care to everyone, in our philosophy of care and values, it is fundamental to respect the uniqueness and individual requirements of the diverse communities we serve. Guided by the inclusion spirit and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, we are committed to preventing, identifying and removing barriers that impede an individual's access to the services provided at our facility.
We have also developed policies and procedures to comply with the accessibility legislation which you can view or download here. Please contact us and let us know how we are meeting or can improve your accessibility requirements, bellow you can find specific contact information.
- All entrances are accessible, at ground level and without curbing.
- All entrances are equipped with automatic and/ or sliding doors.
- Two designated wheelchair accessible parking spaces are available near the main entrance to the hospital on the upper parking level.
- Washrooms located in the patient rooms, emergency department, laboratory, diagnostic imaging and outpatient waiting room are accessible.
- Public accessible washrooms are marked with the symbol to the right.
- Faucets in the patient’s washrooms are handsfree.
- Telephones have volume controls to amplify the sounds.
Easy Access Doors
- All patient room doors are equipped with glide latches for easy opening and closing.
- The main lobby entrance and waiting room doors feature automatic opening.
- Available in all main hallways.
- Persons with disabilities may enter the premises accompanied by their service animal and keep that animal with them in areas/premises that are open to the public, unless the animal is otherwise excluded by legislation. For specifics, please see our policy on service animals.
- Available at the Main Entrance and the Emergency Department
- Extra wide wheelchairs are available.
- The main signage within the facility utilizes raised lettering, Braille and pictograms.
Fire Alarm System
- Our fire alarm system incorporates an audible tone with flashing strobe lights.
- We have a very diverse and transient community, which also is represented in our staff, some of our staff and other community partners have agreed to provide informal interpretation services to patients. Interpreters can be used for brief periods to convey essential information. Staff interpreters may not be available at all times, other forms of interpretation with technology can be used, please contact your nursing staff to enquire interpretation options available to you.
- Televisions in patient rooms come with adjustable volume control and closed captioning.
The Nursing Station
- The nursing station desk has been modified to wheelchair height.
We invite you to help us improve accessibility at the Red Lake Margaret Cochenour Memorial Hospital by sharing your questions, concerns or comments on the way we provide care and services to people with disabilities in an accessible manner.
All feedback should be directed to the Director of Risk Management & Patient Relations. Feedback from customers may be received in person, in writing, by email, telephone, by disk or by another method determined by both parties. Or using our online feedback form here.
Director of Risk Management and Patient Relations
Red Lake Margaret Cochenour Memorial Hospital
Red Lake, ON.
Tel: (807) 727-2231
To send feedback by email: firstname.lastname@example.org